Google

Monday, September 25, 2006

Reduction

Definition:
Re-duc-tion (cooking):
n.
Technique to decrease volume of a sauce through evaporation. Stirring liquids in a pot over the stove till the cows-come-home.
*sigh* Reducing sauces and jams are my biggest kitchen fears! Being the impatient person that I am; standing and stirring the same pot for more than 2 hours could mean death! *laughs*
I had to find another way to keep my hands busy in the kitchen while my pot of onion jam bubbled over gentle flames. I gave an old fail-ed recipe another go, just to see if it was the proportions which were inaccurate or was it from my meager bread baking talent. 3 hours after....I concluded it was the recipe; not me! *grin* The olive loaf had suspicious proportions of flour+water and after extensive research online from various recipes; I decided it was best to try a different composition the next time. It was still edible; just didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.
I sliced the loaf and topped it with roast chicken, mayo, chopped lemon thyme and the yummy jam for dinner. The girls didn't like the jam too much; they thought it was too 'strong'-i have no idea what they meant by strong. It could be that they were unacquainted to the robust flavors of red wine + onions. I personally loved it! It was really sweet...I had to use it scarcely on the open sandwiches. I'm glad it stores well. I'll probably pop it in a jar till the next time I make lamb steaks...MMMmmmmMmm..it should go perrrfectly!

3 large onions sliced thinly(preferably white; I used brown one's and they turned out fine)
Dry red wine enough to cover all the sliced onions in the pot
2/3 cup white sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise cloves
Cook everything in medium thick base saucepan on low heat till the liquid is reduced to a clump of sticky yummy jam! It took me 3 hours....I wish you luck :)


Tags:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: