Google

Saturday, November 26, 2005

May's Spicy No-Cream Carbonara


It's a well known fact that I'm lactose intolerant. One dollop of flavoured milk, full cream milk, rich cream (whipped cream included) or any too-rich ice cream sends me running off to the loo in 3 minutes flat. It's a born-with-it thing and it's a pain in the arse (literally). On happier note it also prevents me from putting on too much weight. So there.

I've always loved a good Italian carbonara but after my first and failed attempt at preventing it from coming out of the other end I gave up hope of ever finding a good carbo that would sit well with my tummy.

Until I found a similar recipe to this in a magazine. I've modified it quite a bit as I personally like to add more ingredients and spice. And I also like it to be low fat and light.

Vat you need:

Pasta - I prefer penne anytime
Lots of garlic - chopped finely
Lots of red chili - chopped finely
A few slices of bacon - minus fat!
2 eggs - beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
Parsley - chopped
Chives - chopped
Olive oil

How now brown cow?

1. Talk to your food first. Important. Oh, and remember to boil pasta to al dante.

2. Heat olive oil in pan. Throw in garlic and chili. Fry till fragrant.

3. Throw in bacon and fry until cooked. Add parsley. Season with pepper only.

4. Turn off fire. Drain pasta and add it to bacon mixture.

5. Turn fire on to low and slowly add beaten egg mixture to the pasta.

6. Stir constantly to prevent eggies from scrambling.

Done!

Tags:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments:

Johnny Malkavian said...

1. Talk to your food first.

But what do I say?

Anonymous said...

You guys are doing a fantastic job, I am a big fan of your website.

I tried out your Spaghetti Marinara recipe last week and it was a huge success, thank you! I have bookmarked this to try out asap.