A recipe dedicated to my love affair with tofu!
You can use silken tofu in this recipe, that is if you have a deep fryer. I found out that no matter how long you wrap your silken tofu in bundles of paper towels, it's really hard to dry out.
But if you're okay with facial injuries, then go for it!
If not, use the safer option: Firm tofu.
* Many thanks and love to Andi who created this recipe!
320g firm tofu (cubed)
2 brown onions (sliced thinly)
2 tablespoons mirin
2 tablespoons sugar
8 tablespoons soy sauce (preferably Kikoman)
3 to 4 eggs
1. Deep fry tofu cubes and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Pour the mirin, sugar and soy sauce into a bowl and mix until most of the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
3. Fry onions until fragrant and soft. Add tofu and half the liquid mixture.
4. Crack the eggs on to the tofu and mix quickly. When the egg is cooked, throw in the remaining mixture.
5. Serve with hot, steamed rice.