Soba Noodles with Tofu & Mushrooms
(Makes 500ml of broth)
Mushrooms of your choice (Chinese, button, enoki, etc) - chopped
Dashi Miso paste
2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
4 tablespoon mirin
1 teaspoon sugar
1 carrot (thinly sliced)
4-5 shallots (thinly sliced)
300g firm tofu (cubed and dried in paper towels)
Cornflour to dust
Soba noodles (cooked according to packet instructions)
Oil for frying
1. Make 500ml of broth according to the packet instructions. Simmer over medium heat.
2. Add the dark soy sauce, mirin, sugar, mushrooms, carrots and shallots to the broth. Leave to simmer.
3. Heat oil in a pan until hot.
4. Prepare a plate of cornflour seasoned with salt and pepper. Dip tofu cubes into flour and fry in pan until golden brown on both sides. Set aside on paper towels.
5. Assemble a steaming bowl of noodles: Place soba, a few cubes of tofu and pour broth over noodles and tofu to preference.