Google

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Spanish Doughnuts




The bake-ress is back!

Yes. Shameful, I know. But the minute I moved house and got uprooted from my beautiful (rented) SMEG microwave, oven and stove top, I just lost motivation because I had to bake in a less posh oven.

But oh well. I'm back.

:)

So today's long due recipe is Spanish doughnuts.

Those who know me well know that I detest crowds and there's nothing worse than lining up at Vic Mart with hooligans, err, I mean, market-going folks on a Sunday afternoon to get a sugar high.

So here's my version of Spanish doughnuts for those who hate queues and those who are a bit more health conscious (I've made the effort to reduce the cholestrol in this recipe).

Baker's pantry:

1/2 (110g) cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
20g unsalted butter (melted)
1/2 cup (125ml) milk
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Canola oil for deep frying

sugar mixture: 2 cups (450g) white sugar, 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Flour up to my elbows:

1. Whisk sugar, vanilla extract, egg, butter and milk.

2. Add flour, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir until smooth to form a thick batter. Leave for one hour.

3. Fill a wok or deep frying pan with oil. Heat oil until 180 degrees. To test this, use a deep fryer thermometer or plonk a small cube of bread into the oil. If it's already at 180 degrees, the bread cube will turn golden in 30 seconds.

4. Fry teaspoonfuls of batter. Ensure that the batter that goes into the oil is more or less teaspoonful size to avoid them looking like giant warts. Place fried up batter on paper towels.

5. Toss doughnuts in the sugar mixture.

6. Serve immediately (if you plan to eat them later, don't roll them in the sugar mixture yet).

Spanish doughnuts are perfect with a hot mug of tea!

Tags:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: