Oh, this was divine. Of course it doesn't rival what I get back home but I must say it comes pretty close.
Note that I eliminated bean sprouts from the recipe because I have an extreme dislike for them, mainly due to the fact that I used to work in a high class restaurant that saw me picking the heads and tails off 5kgs worth of bean sprouts every morning.
I also didn't use spring onions as a garnish because I'm not a big fan.
Mamak Mee Goreng
500g-750g yellow noodles (rinsed)
1-2 tablespoons of sambal olek
3 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
1 packet tau foo pok (tofu puffs; cubed)
1 medium potato (peeled, boiled and sliced)
Beansprouts (if you like them)
A few tablespoons of fried onion
1 red chilli and 1 green chilli (sliced)
A squirt of lime before eating
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon bottle chilli sauce
3 tablespoons bottle tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
A dash of white pepper
4 tablespoons water
1. Combine all ingredients of the seasoning sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok and fry the sambal olek and garlic until fragrant.
3. Add seasoning sauce and fry for a few seconds before adding the noodles and tofu puffs. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes and ensure that it does not stick to the wok (add a bit of water if necessary).
4. Add the potato, fry for awhile, then add beansprouts if using.
5. Stir fry a bit more, add fried onions, red and green chilli and ensure that all ingredients are mixed well together.